Electric Field Effects in the Brain?

r norman rsnorman_ at _comcast.net
Mon Apr 28 09:09:00 EST 2003

On Sat, 26 Apr 2003 16:49:15 GMT, "KP-PC"
<k.p.collins at worldnet.att.net%remove%> wrote:

>Hi Richard.
>
>"r norman" <rsnorman_ at _comcast.net> wrote in message
>news:m07lav4v8sn776q16k86qhjsm1k5k9fcn5 at 4ax.com...
>| On 26 Apr 2003 07:10:09 -0700, y.k.y at lycos.com (yan king yin)
>wrote:
>|
>| >I have another question which is related to making brain-computer
>| >interfaces. Suppose I make some nano-scale tubes of diameters on
>| >the order of 10-100nm (assuming we know how to do that). Inside
>| >these tubes would be an ionic solution. The tubes contain no
>| >ionic channels; basically they are closed. Will these tubes
>| >conduct electric signals efficiently? Given that ions in solution
>| >are different from electrons in metals, what would be the
>| >differences between these tubes and electrodes? In terms of
>| >conductance, and frequency-dependent impedence?
>| >
>| >(Another assumption is that the surface of the tubes are
>| >electrical insulators -- but this is probably not true
>| >because carbon nanotubes, for one, are known to be conductive.)
>| >
>| >Thanks =)
>| >YKY
>|
>| I am not sure what you are really trying to accomplish here.
>| To build a brain-computer interface, it is sufficient to put
>| electrodes into the proper locations.  The electrode are
>technically
>| interfaces between two conducting media -- the metallic (or
>| semiconductor) materials that connect to the computer and that
>| function with mobile electrons (or "holes"), and the saline
>solutions
>| of the brain that conduct with ion movements.
>|
>| There are two types of electrode.  In one, there is a redox
>reaction
>| that occurs at the surface of the electrode translating electron
>| movement into ionic movement.  The tradional system for
>experimental
>| work is to use a silver wire electrode covered with insoluble
>silver
>| chloride.  Then at the interface, Ag(s) gives up an electron to the
>| metallic side and binds a Cl- from the solution to  form AgCl(s).
>On
>| the other electrode, the reverse reaction accepts an electron from
>the
>| metal to reduce AgCl to Ag(s) and release Cl- into the solution.
>|
>| In the other kind of electrode, there is no redox reaction at the
>| electrode surface.  Instead, there is an electrical bilayer,
>| essentially a capacitance, so that electrons arriving at the
>surface
>| in the metal accumulate a negative charge on the electrode surface,
>| driving away Cl- ions in the solution and attracting Na+ (assuming
>the
>| extracellular NaCl solution -- other ions are involved inside the
>| cells).  Similarly, electrons moving in the other direction allow a
>| positive charge to accumulate on the electrode and drive the ions
>in
>| solution the other direction.

> [...]

You are right about both the long-term problems with
implanted electodes and the lack of plasticity.

However, there is value in the work-- as you say, an
"organically intact" brain doesn't need it, but an injured
or diseased brain may well benefit from artificial devices.
Further, it is essential for research on just how the brain
functions to do all the complex variety of things it does.