Reasoning v. other AI stuff

Acme Debugging L.Fine at lycos.co.uk
Wed Apr 30 21:38:30 EST 2003

Randall R Schulz <rrschulz at cris.com> wrote in message news:<1hSra.10088$JX2.617161 at typhoon.sonic.net>...

> It's not new. Extensive research has already been done on so-called
> "qualitative reasoning." This includes diagrammatic and analogic
> reasoning, e.g.

Thanks for the references. Actually, I'm not looking for any logic
system, just saying that logic used in most real-world reasoning
needs to incorporate probability. I think different logic(s) will be
needed for different types of questions. I would favor just a few
simple probability calculations in a first-step reasoner, though it
might run out of applications pretty fast.

Agree it's nothing new.

Larry