Project On Controlling Human Behavior

Allen L. Barker alb at datafilter.com
Sun Aug 3 06:36:21 EST 2003

Andy wrote:
> "Allen L. Barker" <alb at datafilter.com> wrote in message
> news:bgerp9$uul$2 at slb6.atl.mindspring.net...
>

>>Below I have reproduced (in ASCII) a front-page New York Times article
>>from 1977 that I copied from microfiche.  Many people have never seen
>>a newspaper article that actually reports real, official revelations
>>of mind control crimes.  This was a relatively brief window in history
>>when such reporting could take place, and which ended too soon for the
>>bulk of the abuses to be exposed.
>>

> <snip>
>
> Yeah so the CIA tried to do mind control.  Fidel Castro is still happily
> alive despite CIA attempts to assassinate him.  If they can't kill one
> single man with the entire might of the American secret service, how could
> they have any success in controlling behaviour?

That is a specious argument.  And whether or not they have any success,
the fact is that human beings are being subjected to nonconsensual
experimentation.  Even for the nationalistic crowd, many of these
victims are US citizens.

> Let's just say that the CIA doesn't really have a great track record of
> success stories and so if they wanna fool around trying to find ways to turn
> whitehouse interns into sluts I say let them.  If it keeps the president
> from interfering with the country/world then go CIA go!

I am continually amazed at the pure callousness of the things people will
post to Usenet.  What if it were someone you knew or someone in your
family?  Do you still say "let them"?  Are you volunteering yourself to
be a test subject?

> The CIA can't even alter the presidents arrest records to prevent him from
> looking like an alcoholic.  So how could they possibly hide information
> about mind-control?  Seems silly to discuss CIA activity when the CNN
> machine pumps patriotic sewage into American minds.

Perhaps that is part of why Americans are so desensitized to their
fellow citizens being tortured using their tax money.

> However, I would be interested in the results of some of the tests.  I would
> imagine that the trivial stuff like post-hypnotic suggestion is discarded as
> ineffectual, but I would like to see if behaviour responses that clash with
> the existing personality can be conditioned.  Are there any online versions
> available?

Many people would be interested in the results, but only glimpses of what
all experiments were conducted and what the results were have come out.
There are all sorts of techniques that fall under the popular term "mind
control."  Have you read _The Search for the Manchurian Candidate_, as an
introduction to some of the experiments from the 50s and 60s?  It is online
at http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/lsd/marks.htm.

I am not sure what exactly you are asking about existing personalities, but
maybe the following is related.  Note the reference to the deliberate
creation of multiple personalities.  (With modern technology a hypnotist
can be in constant voice contact with a victim, and the victim can be kept
under intense surveillance.)

http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/lsd/marks11.htm

[...]

Eager to be unleashed, Morse Allen kept requesting prolonged access to
operational subjects, such as the double agents and defectors on whom
he was allowed to work a day or two. Not every double agent would do.
The candidate had to be among the one person in five who made a good
hypnotic subject, and he needed to have a dissociative tendency to
separate part of his personality from the main body of his consciousness.
The hope was to take an existing ego state—such as an imaginary childhood
playmate—and build it into a separate personality, unknown to the first.
The hypnotist would communicate directly with this schizophrenic offshoot
and command it to carry out specific deeds about which the main
personality would know nothing. There would be inevitable leakage
between the two personalities, particularly in dreams; but if the
hypnotists were clever enough, he could build in cover stories and
safety valves which would prevent the subject from acting inconsistently.

All during the spring and summer of 1954, Morse Allen lobbied for permission
to try what he called "terminal experiments" in hypnosis,

[...]

Milton Kline, a New York psychologist who says he also did not want to
cross the ethical line but is sure the intelligence agencies have, served
as an unpaid consultant to Sears and other CIA hypnosis research. Nothing
Sears or others found disabused him of the idea that the Manchurian
Candidate is possible. "It cannot be done by everyone," says Kline, "It
cannot be done consistently, but it can be done."

[...]

--
Mind Control: TT&P ==> http://www.datafilter.com/mc
Home page: http://www.datafilter.com/alb