Iron Toxicity

Virginia vodine at direct.ca
Sun Aug 3 13:02:30 EST 2003

I've also seen information that iron overload can cause heart problems -
hence the greater percentage of men having problems than women - as women
lose a lot of iron with their menses.
Iron-supplemented baby formula is SCARY.

Virginia
"Forgiveness is easier to obtain than permission."

www.thedesignuniverse.com

"Ian Goddard" <igoddard at erols.mom> wrote in message
news:bhfmiv867s916mglu8ioerf60ninn8b2hs at 4ax.com...

>  After mentioning potential risks associated with iron intake
>  above necessary levels to some friends, some of whom seemed
>  skeptical, I gathered some of the data, which, having
>  collected, I thought I'd share with folks here...
>
>  This review from "Nutrition Today" (5/6/97) by two leading
>  researchers examines risks associated with iron and concludes
>  that apart from deficiencies, "There is little reason to support
>  a general need for iron supplementation in the diet at any age.
>  [...] don't expose your system to more iron than it needs."
>  While essential at recommended levels, iron generates toxic
>  oxygen radicals. It also notes that iron intake is cumulative,
>  since "iron accumulates in the brain with normal aging."

http://web.archive.org/web/20010901081956/http://pspinformation.com/nutritio
n/minerals/iron.shtml

>  Iron's possible supporting role in neurological degeneration:
>
>  Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (May 28, 2002):
>  "Whereas a decade ago thoughts of metals and Alzheimer's disease
>  (AD) conjured up thoughts of tossing out your aluminum cookware,
>  more recently, zinc, copper, and iron have been implicated in
>  AD pathology."
> http://www.pnas.org/cgi/content/full/99/11/7317
>
>  Cellular and Molecular Biology (June 2000): "In several
>  neurodegenerative diseases, iron accumulates at sites of
>  brain pathology. Since post-mortem examination cannot
>  distinguish whether iron accumulation caused the damage or
>  resulted from damage, it is necessary to manipulate iron in
>  animal and tissue culture models to assess its causal role(s).
>  [...] iron supplementation to ID rats increased damage and
>  microgliosis in the above regions. [...] In addition,
>  iron+zinc supplementation dramatically increased damage to
>  hippocampal CA1 whereas zinc supplementation alone had no effect."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_ui
ds=10875437&dopt=Abstract

>  Journal of Neurochemistry (July 1992): "Iron, a transition
>  metal possibly involved in the pathogenesis of Parkinson's
>  disease, was tested for its toxic effects toward cultures of
>  dissociated rat mesencephalic cells. [...] Altogether, these
>  results suggest (a) that ferrous iron is a potent neurotoxin
>  for dopaminergic neurons as well as for other cell types in
>  dissociated mesencephalic cultures [...]."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_ui
ds=1613493&dopt=Abstract

>  Professor James Connor (author of "Nutrition Today" review
>  quoted at top of post): "Our data had led to the discovery
>  that the brain's ability to mobilize iron is diminished in
>  Alzheimer's Disease and in specific regions of the brain
>  in Parkinson's Disease. This diminished iron mobilization
>  could lead to increased susceptibility to oxidative damage
>  and cell death; both of which are prominent features in
>  Alzheimer's and Parkinson's diseases."

http://www.hmc.psu.edu/depts/old%20pages-kms%20save/neuro/faculty/jrconnor.h
tm

>  Current Opinion in Chemical Biology (April 4, 2000): "Data
>  are now rapidly accumulating to show that metallochemical
>  reactions might be the common denominator underlying
>  Alzheimer's disease, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, prion
>  diseases, cataracts, mitochondrial disorders and Parkinson's
>  disease. In these disorders, an abnormal reaction between a
>  protein and a redox-active metal ion (copper or iron)
>  promotes the formation of reactive oxygen species or radicalization."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=retrieve&db=pubmed&list_ui
ds=10742195&dopt=Abstract

>  Alzheimer's disease (AD) appears to be associated with
>  a dysregulation of heavy metals, possibly as a result of
>  impairment of metallothione (the body's natural defense
>  against metal toxicity) that may be associated with the
>  ApoE genetic defect that increases the risk of AD.
>
>  Aluminum and Alzheimer's disease:

http://www.google.com/groups?selm=gq8havshkhetd6s78ctbgvc8iev0gtma1n%404ax.c
om