Lax parents blamed for 'attention deficit' behaviour

Matthew Kirkcaldie Matthew.Kirkcaldie at newcastle.edu.au
Mon Aug 4 02:38:21 EST 2003

In article <zL5Xa.510$0a.37291 at nnrp1.ozemail.com.au>,
 "Peter F" <fell_spamtrap_in at ozemail.com.au> wrote:

> I just want to voice this sentiment:
>
> I wish to see ever more noise being made by people like you two; That is,
> people who can put broad and balanced (so both sane and sober) and,
> potentially, politically orientable opinions on: how we behave, on the
> workings of our brains, and on what are the causes and best cures for when
> we behave badly and/or brake down.

Peter, your sentiments are gratefully received.  Actually I lecture in
neuroscience and behaviour, and although I wouldn't consider myself an
expert in these fields, I do see it as something of a "mission" to
correct or argue with factual errors presented publically*.  The brain
is a fascinating and difficult subject, and is tough enough to
understand without armchair philosophers and pop psychologists muddying
the waters!  The truth is FAR more exciting than pseudoscience.

I always have faith that the general public will understand the REAL
science if you take care to present it properly.  After all, that
knowledge is just the product of other people, albeit ones with more
training and equipment!

         Matthew.

*PS: this is not a reference to the reason I joined this thread, since I
think John H and I have similar views and only differed in terminology.