Charlie's Animal Research Lab seeks expert help.

Charlie Wilkes charlie_wilkes at easynews.com
Tue Aug 5 16:46:21 EST 2003

On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 18:47:43 GMT, Eric Wilk <Eric.Wilk at tufts.edu>
wrote:

>The Puppy Wizard wrote:
>
><VERY, VERY, VEEERRRRYYYY LONG SNIP>
>
>Kind of a tangent:
>
>I had an idea -- I wanted to know if dogs think of a car as another
>animal or an inanimate object.  I thought I'd get a bunch of dogs that
>get jealous very easily and their owners, and have the owners start
>petting their car and giving it a lot of attention.
>
>What do you think would happen?

Without speculating on the canine thought process, I am confident dogs
sense that cars are not animals.

Here is my draft experiment plan:

I would take some inveterate car-chasing dogs and turn them loose in a
parking lot full of parked cars.  Observe their reaction.  Next day,
take them to the same place, having replaced the parked cars with
rabbit hutches containing live bunnies.  NOW observe what they do.

Charlie