Right Angular Gyrus and OOBEs

Neil M. Fournier neil.fournier at sympatico.ca
Wed Aug 6 00:03:58 EST 2003

inferior parietal lobule.  If you were to follow the Sylvian (lateral)
fissure to its termination point the convoluted portion of brain tissue
(gray matter) directly adjacent to this region (i.e. supramarginal gyrus)
would be the angular gyrus.  If you are at all familiar with Brodmann
mapping this would be area 39.  This region is involved with complex
language function.  Often in individuals who show a lesion in the left
hemisphere within the region will show marked deficits centered around
language.  For example (alexia, agraphia, left-right confusion, and finger
agnosia) are some of these deficits.

In regards to your second question.  Another respondent informed you of the
work of Dr. Michael Persinger.  His research involving the use of extremely
low frequency and highly complex electromagnetic fields has been implemented
in producing often the experiences similar to those of out-of-body and near
death experiences recorded in the general population and across all
cultures.  The actual fields that are employed in this type of research are
modeled according to actual neurophysiological activity found within the
brain, which differs often with the type of magnetic fields used by other
researchers investigating the effects of extremely low frequency
electromagnetic fields.  Specifically, one type of field that can generate
many of the features of OBE and NDE experiences is modeled according to
burst firing neurons found within the hippocampal-amygdaloid area of the
brain.  This area of the brain is considered to be the locus for the
emergence of these types of experiences and also including mystical and
religious experience in general.

Now you asked how one could produce these experiences in the general
population.  Definitely the suggestion to look at the Shakti device would be
worthwhile if you truly are interested in the work done with magnetic field
induction of out-of-body experience. The Shakti device is created based upon
 much of the theory and empirical evidence that has been found by Dr.
Persinger.   However, not everybody that are exposed to these fields have
these types of experiences.  One thing you should consider is that September
2002 study your referring to on the Neural correlates of NDE (published in
Nature) had a sample of subjects consisting of temporal lobe epileptics
undergoing surgery.  Temporal lobe epilepsy and moreover the temporal lobe
itself has been often considered to be implemented as the origin and the
correlate for the emergence of these types of phenomena.  These individuals
would represent the part of the population that would be considered to
possess an extremely overactive or hyperactive temporal (and/or limbic)
lobe.  Elicitation of this type of phenomena would be more readily possible
in this class of people (approximately 2 1/2 percent of the population) then
in the normal population (95% i.e. between -2 and +2 standard deviations
from the mean of the normal population in regards to temporal lobe
lability).  Good luck on your journey.

news:388b09d8.0307201923.2a7be583 at posting.google.com...
news:<18332-3F1032B2-404 at storefull-2292.public.lawson.webtv.net>...