Soy Neurotoxicity?

jack n dalton jdalton at ix.netcom.com
Thu Aug 7 09:18:35 EST 2003

"Richard Schulman" <ra.schulman-xyz at verizon.net> wrote in message
news:chc4jvo8paet3c2h0eapp6lnha0sen00gb at 4ax.com...
> On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 05:47:54 GMT, molab at ww.co.nz (R Molony) wrote:
>
> >>FINDINGS MAY SUPPORT SOY-DEMENTIA CORRELATION IN MALES
> >>
> >Big problem Tofu contains other things besides soy.
> >Frequently aluminium sulphate or alum is illicitly included in the
> >coagulant used to gell the soy. The addition of aluminium helps to
> >give the tofu a much firmer texture.
> >
> >Surely this must complicate any statistical research demonstrating
> >neurotoxicity of Tofu products.
>
> This raises the question as to whether soy bean products generally may
> be tarnished by research findings that are properly applicable only to
> tofu. Certainly my initial reaction was to fall into that groove.
> ---
> Richard Schulman
> Remove antispamming "-xyz" for email reply

However I still believe the following is correct about soy-derived
phosphatidylserine benefits. I take the GNC PS 100 Phosphatidyl serine
complex but must add that the bottle does not indicate Soy as source.

Jack N Dalton

1: Nutr Neurosci  2002 Oct;5(5):337-43

Safety of soy-derived phosphatidylserine in elderly people.

Jorissen BL, Brouns F, Van Boxtel MP, Riedel WJ.
Department of Psychiatry and Neuropsychology, Brain and Behaviour Institute,
Universiteit Maastricht, The Netherlands.

Phosphatidylserine (PS) is a phospholipid which has been claimed to enhance
neuronal membrane function, and can be derived from several sources. Earlier
studies used brain cortex derived PS, of which the human tolerability of
300mg daily in 130 patients has been shown. The human tolerability of PS
derived from soybean has not been reported, although it is widely sold as a
nutritional supplement which may improve cognitive function in the elderly.
We report the results of a study of the safety of two dosages of
soy-phosphatidylserine (S-PS) in elderly. Subjects were 120 elderly of both
sexes who fulfilled the more stringent criteria for age-associated memory
impairment; some also fulfilled the criteria for age-associated cognitive
decline. Subjects were allocated at random to one of the three treatment
groups: placebo, 300 or 600 mg S-PS daily.  Standard biochemical and
hematological safety parameters, blood pressure, heart rate and adverse
events were assessed at baseline, after 6 and 12 weeks of treatment. No
significant differences were found in any of the outcome variables between
the treatment groups after Bonferonni-Holme correction. In conclusion, soy
derived PS is a safe nutritional supplement for older persons if taken up to
a dosage of 200 mg three times daily.

PMID: 12385596 [PubMed - in process]