Soy Neurotoxicity?

Ian Goddard igoddard at erols.mon
Thu Aug 7 18:07:14 EST 2003

molab at ww.co.nz (R Molony) wrote:

>Ian Goddard <igoddard at erols.mom> wrote:
>>
>>FINDINGS MAY SUPPORT SOY-DEMENTIA CORRELATION IN MALES
>>
>Big problem Tofu contains other things besides soy.
>Frequently aluminium sulphate or alum is illicitly included in the
>coagulant used to gell the soy. The addition of aluminium helps to
>give the tofu a much firmer texture.
>
>Surely this must complicate any statistical research demonstrating
>neurotoxicity of Tofu products.

  IAN: I doubt it. William Harris explored the question of
  aluminum's possible role in the findings of White et al:
  http://www.vegsource.com/harris/brain_aging.htm

  He had 16 soy products assayed for Al. Sure enough tofu
  was on the high side, at 15.99 parts per million. However,
  in the big picture that is not very remarkable. That's
  16 micrograms of Al per gram of tofu. Estimates of daily
  dietary Al intake range from 1.53 to 160 mg per person:
  http://www.inchem.org/documents/jecfa/jecmono/v12je04.htm

  So you'd have to eat about 2.2 lbs tofu/day to match the
  high-end estimate of normal daily Al intake. Given that
  White et al defined the high-end of tofu intake as two
  or more servings per week, that would be below 2 lbs/day!
  And most likely "servings" among this Japanese American
  cohort probably means meals wherein tofu is a component.

  That's not to say Al may not play a role in neurological
  degeneration. I've posted a lot of evidence that it does:
http://www.google.com/groups?selm=gq8havshkhetd6s78ctbgvc8iev0gtma1n%404ax.com

  But given that there are many foods with as much or more
  Al content than tofu as measured by Harris, and that
  White et al tested ALL foods reported by the cohort and
  only tofu produced a loud & clear statistically significant
  correlation to indicators of cognitive impairment and brain
  atrophy, it stands to reason Al not producing that signal.

  http://IanGoddard.net/journal.htm

  "To lengthen thy life, lessen thy meals." Ben Franklin

  Ongoing CR-monkey-study update: "In the monkeys...those on
  reduced feeding since the study started are dying at a rate
  that is about half that of the monkeys receiving a full food
  ration." Associated Press: Eating less may extend human life.
  August 1, 2002 : http://www.msnbc.com/news/788746.asp?0si=-