Soy Neurotoxicity?

Ian Goddard igoddard at erols.mon
Thu Aug 7 19:08:28 EST 2003

"Doug" <doug_adam at allyourclothesglobal.net.au> wrote:

><snip>
>
>How common is this problem in Japan?
>
>Tofu and miso are two staples of that land, so if there is a problem it
>should be evident in that country.

  IAN: But tofu isn't a Japanese "staple." According
  to Dr Mercola: "the Japanese don't eat that much soy:
  a 1998 study showed that a Japanese man typically eats
  about 8g (2 tsp) a day, nothing like the 220g (8oz) that
  a Westerner could put away by eating a big chunk of tofu
  and two glasses of soy milk." Link posted by Anatoly:
  http://www.mercola.com/2000/oct/8/soy_crisis.htm

  While Alzheimer's disease is more common and vascular
  dementia less common among Japanese Americans than among
  native Japanese, [*] that doesn't tell us anything about
  tofu's relationship to dementia. You'd have to examine the
  relationship between dementia and tofu (soy) consumption
  in Japan, controlling for various facts as White et al
  did in the Japanese American cohort they examined.

[*]
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=8805729&dopt=Abstract

  http://IanGoddard.net/journal.htm

  "Our greatest illusion is to believe that we are what
   we think ourselves to be." Henri Amiel (1821-1881)