Soy Neurotoxicity?

John de Hoog dehoog at dehoog.org
Fri Aug 8 21:11:39 EST 2003

Charlie Wilkes wrote...

> Sure.  Ronald Reagan and Charlton Heston are still alive.  They
> probably ate lots of tofu.
>
> This is a male problem, right?  Tofu is a lady food, you see.  It
> makes your internal organs, including your brain, frail and ladylike.
> Ladies can handle this because they were designed to turn into old
> ladies.  But when men turn into old ladies, that's bad, and you're
> well on your way, John.  Your response has all the earmarks of
> menopausal thinking.  Better ditch the lady food and get yerself a
> ribeye before it's too late.

I guess being real men is what gives you people all that prostate cancer,
right?

Seriously, though, I think the Web sites and so on that talk about soy
neurotoxicity are way over the top. They remind me of the aspartame
arguments, or countless other perfectly plausible-sounding arguments that
are made for or against a given food. If the Japanese were really poisoning
themselves, there should be good evidence to support that. Do you have any?
Have you compared dementia data across cultures, at the same age brackets?

Or are you one of those who claim Asians don't really eat very much soy?
I've seen that one, too; but such claims are obviously made by people who
have never been inside a Japanese food store or observed how people actually
eat. Tofu is only part of the picture that includes edamame, natto, miso,
soy sauce and numerous other foods made from soy.

--
John de Hoog
http://dehoog.org