Soy Neurotoxicity?

Ian Goddard igoddard at erols.mon
Fri Aug 8 22:03:47 EST 2003

>FINDINGS MAY SUPPORT SOY-DEMENTIA CORRELATION IN MALES
>
>(c) 08/06/03 - Ian Williams Goddard
>
>In April 2000, Lon White and others reported a dose-dependent positive
>correlation between tofu consumption and brain atrophy in a large
>sample of men over several decades. [1]

  White et al: http://www.jacn.org/cgi/content/full/19/2/242

  Posted this elsewhere (CR means caloric restriction):

  IAN: Here's a rebuttle to White et al followed by their
  responce: http://www.jacn.org/cgi/content/full/19/4/467

  As I've noted, laboratory findings are also relevent. The
  soy phytoestrogen genistein inhibits DNA synthesis in rat
  cerebral cortex and suppresses a range of neurotrophic
  (neuroprotective) factor functions. An important example:

  J Neurochem (Oct 1995): "The ability of the neurotrophic
  factors to suppress glutamate toxicity and glutamate-induced
  peroxide accumulation [in hippocampal neurons] was attenuated
  by the tyrosine kinase inhibitor genistein, indicating the
  requirement for tyrosine phosphorylation in the neuro-
  protective signal transduction mechanism."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=7561872&dopt=Abstract

  "Attenuated" of course means "reduced." Genistein reduced a
  critical antiaging function. In fact, it's well-known that the
  chemical class to which genistein is a member, tyrosine kinase
  inhibitors, interfere with neurotrophic (neuroprotective)
  factors as a class trait. If CR is neuroprotective because it
  raises neurotrophic factors, the same logic suggests that soy
  could be neurotoxic for inducing the opposite (even if only in
  males). In short, the known effects of soy phytochemicals point
  to a prediction of brain atrophy. In my view, that adds weight
  to the soy-dementia correlation reported by White et al.

  http://IanGoddard.net

  "To lengthen thy life, lessen thy meals." Ben Franklin