Soy Neurotoxicity?

Ian Goddard igoddard at erols.mon
Sat Aug 9 00:38:48 EST 2003

"John de Hoog" <dehoog at dehoog.org> wrote:

>For a summary that comes neither from the soy industry nor the anti-soy
>industry, read this report from the Medical College of Wisconsin.
>
>http://healthlink.mcw.edu/article/985118284.html

  IAN: The material there relates to soy for women. Research,
  such as I've cited, suggests that when examining the effects
  of soy it's important to differentiate between women and men.
  The effects of estrogen-like chemicals are most likely to be
  disruptive to the male system. Also, the only thing at that
  link related to the question of soy neurotoxicity is this:

Memory Loss: Studies suggest that HRT prevents or at least delays
the onset of Alzheimer's disease, but larger trials are needed.
Estrogen, commonly used in HRT, maintains and enhances verbal
memory and stimulates chemicals in the brain that are important
to memory. Phytoestrogens may have similar effects, according to
animal studies, but results have been mixed.

  and it says the animal studies "have been mixed." Moreover,
  given current findings on hormone replacement therapy (HRT):

  "The research shows that along with an increased risk of heart
  disease, combined hormone therapy also increases the risk of
  stroke, breast cancer and dementia such as Alzheimer's disease."
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/08/06/earlyshow/contributors/emilysenay/main567034.shtml

  it's not yet clear whether HRT prevents or promotes dementia.

  Also see: "HRT 'doubles Alzheimer's risk'"
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/main.jhtml?view=DETAILS&grid=P9&targetRule=10&xml=%2Fhealth%2F2003%2F05%2F28%2Fhalz28.xml

 http://IanGoddard.net - "The more restrictions and prohibitions
  in the world, the poorer people get." Lao Tzu (Tao Te Ching)