Zwicker tone

TonyJeffs tonyjeffs at aol.com
Sun Aug 10 12:36:33 EST 2003

Hi
Mentioned this a couple of months back. A recently published paper
proposes a mechanism  for the Awicker tone, an auditory after image
after exposure to a white noise with a band cut out.  (postulates:-not
cochlear; higher level)

But aside from Zwicker himself, I can't find anyone, or even anyone
who knows anyone who has actually experienced this phenomenon.

Is there really such a reproducible effect - or was the illusion
unique to Zwicker himself?

Has anyone seen a paper describing an actual experiment where subjects
experienced it? I can't find anything on the net.
Any thoughts where else I might look for a worked Zwocler tone
experiment?

Here's the recent paper describing the mechanism, but it seems a bit
redundant without some evidence of the experience!
www1.physik.tu-muenchen.de/lehrstuehle/T35/
addons/publications/Franosch-2003.pdf

(The Zwicker tone has suddenly become the fashionable conversation
topic among hearing/tinnitus therapists and patients.)

Thanks

Tony