Soy Neurotoxicity?

Rob robwid3000 at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 10 14:55:28 EST 2003

> Is it correct to equate tofu and other soy products (beans
> and tempeh, for example)? What form of soy was used in
> the rat study you cite?

Dr. Michael Lam, MD, www.drlam.com, himself an Asian, has long
recommended against all soy except for fermented soy products, tempeh
and miso.  Dr. Dean Ornish has recently sent an advisory suggesting
that males following his diet structure may wish to eliminate soy from
the diet and Dr Andrew Weil, has recently pulled back from an
enthusiastic endorsement of all soy products to cautious "one cup of
soy milk should be OK".

I have a possible pre-cancerous condition of the prostate (3-clean
biopsies in the last 8 years)that I think my substitution of soy (meat
substitutes and milk)has helped me with.  As I exersize hard, I find I
must have a good protein source.  Vitamin Shoppes has a non-soy
protein powder, but the problem with this is that it is expensive,
$14/lb., and that much of its protein is derived from legumes, which
may replicate the soy problems. Misos may all be too salty  and tempeh
has a taste problem for me.  Perhaps egg-whites and a return to some
milk are what I must do.  It isn't easy.