Soy Neurotoxicity?

fred & michele healthyu at concentric.net
Sun Aug 10 16:17:15 EST 2003

"Rob" <robwid3000 at hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:250fb761.0308101155.1c6fc039 at posting.google.com...

> > Is it correct to equate tofu and other soy products (beans
> > and tempeh, for example)? What form of soy was used in
> > the rat study you cite?
> >

> Dr. Michael Lam, MD, www.drlam.com, himself an Asian, has long
> recommended against all soy except for fermented soy products, tempeh
> and miso.  Dr. Dean Ornish has recently sent an advisory suggesting
> that males following his diet structure may wish to eliminate soy from
> the diet and Dr Andrew Weil, has recently pulled back from an
> enthusiastic endorsement of all soy products to cautious "one cup of
> soy milk should be OK".
>
> I have a possible pre-cancerous condition of the prostate (3-clean
> biopsies in the last 8 years)that I think my substitution of soy (meat
> substitutes and milk)has helped me with.  As I exersize hard, I find I
> must have a good protein source.  Vitamin Shoppes has a non-soy
> protein powder, but the problem with this is that it is expensive,
> $14/lb., and that much of its protein is derived from legumes, which
> may replicate the soy problems. Misos may all be too salty  and tempeh
> has a taste problem for me.  Perhaps egg-whites and a return to some
> milk are what I must do.  It isn't easy.

Have you given whey protein isolate a try?  While I don't use it
exclusively, I've been using it to increase my protein intake without some
of the problems possibly associated with increasing other sources of
protein.  It doesn't taste bad, isn't really high in calories, & doesn't
cost an arm & a leg.

Michele
I ENJOY being a cranky bitch.