Copper & Alzheimer's Disease

Ian Goddard igoddard at erols.mom
Thu Aug 14 17:49:55 EST 2003

Copper link to Alzheimer's disease:

The abstract:
http://www.pnas.org/cgi/content/abstract/1832769100v1

Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, 10.1073/pnas.1832769100

Trace amounts of copper in water induce beta-amyloid plaques and
learning deficits in a rabbit model of Alzheimer's disease

[authors and affiliations cut for brevity, see link above]

Despite the crucial role played by cholesterol and copper in nutrition
and normal brain function, recent evidence indicates that they may
both be important factors in the etiology of Alzheimer's disease (AD).
Here we provide critical evidence for the role of cholesterol and
copper in AD by showing that the addition of trace amounts of copper
(0.12 ppm) to water given to cholesterol-fed rabbits can induce
beta-amyloid (Abeta) accumulation, including senile plaque-like
structures in the hippocampus and temporal lobe, and can significantly
retard the ability of rabbits to learn a difficult trace conditioning
task. The Abeta deposits do not affect the ability of rabbits to
detect or respond to the training stimuli nor to learn a simpler delay
conditioning task. Trace amounts of copper in drinking water may
influence clearance of Abeta from the brain at the level of the
interface between the blood and cerebrovasculature and combined with
high cholesterol may be a key component to the accumulation of Abeta
in the brain, having a significant impact on learning and memory.
Cholesterol-fed rabbits have at least 12 pathological markers seen in
AD, suggesting that the cholesterol-fed rabbit is a good animal model
for studying AD.