homovanillic acid and VR1

BilZ0r BilZ0r at TAKETHISOUThotmail.com
Thu Aug 14 23:15:11 EST 2003

Follow my logic.

Homovanillic acid (HVA) a common metabolite of dopamine and oter
catecholamines.

The vanilloid receptor 1 (VR1) or capcaicin receptor, it mediates
apoptosis in some cases.

Esters of homovanillic acid can be potent VR1 receptor agonists

3-Acyloxy-2-phenalkylpropyl amides and esters of homovanillic acid as
novel vanilloid receptor agonists.
Bioorg Med Chem Lett. 1999 Oct 18;9(20):2909-14.

Could it not be possible that HVA has agonistic properties on the VR1
receptor? I mean, look at the two molecules, apart from the hyrdophic
chain, HVA and capcaicin look very similar in regards to charge
distribution. Might explain why dopaminergic neurons are always so damn
sensitive.

I don't know, just the musing of an undergraduate.