Cannabinoids are potent neuroprotective agents

John John at overhere.com.au
Fri Aug 15 03:26:20 EST 2003

--
johnYYYcoe at tpg.com.au

remove YYY in reply
"BilZ0r" <BilZ0r at TAKETHISOUThotmail.com> wrote in message
news:Xns93D8A11CCDF3DBilZ0rhotmailcom at 202.20.93.13...
> "John" <John at overhere.com.au> wrote in news:3f3c336d at dnews.tpgi.com.au:
>
> > One of quite a few by now. If not for politics a lot of people would
> > be saved from unnecessary cell loss. .....
>
> unless of course...
>
> Chan GC, Hinds TR, Impey S, Storm DR.
> Hippocampal neurotoxicity of Delta9-tetrahydrocannabinol.
> J Neurosci. 1998 Jul 15;18(14):5322-32
>
> Scallet AC.
> Neurotoxicology of cannabis and THC: a review of chronic exposure studies
> in animals.
> Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 1991 Nov;40(3):671-6.
>
> and nothing is stopping doctors administering cannabinoids after
> asphxyation, its just like NMDA channel antagonists.

In vitro study(beware of the serum!), not supported by in vivo studies
except in extreme concentrations. Have a look at Hampson et al, July 7,
1998, PNAS. More than blocking calcium channels, and in this study the non
psychoactive forms were also very effective. NMDA antagonists can be
dangerous, cannabinoids very well tolerated, and would someone explain to me
why Fried found, as published recently the Canadian Medical Journal, slight
increases in IQ in heavy smokers who ceased smoking and light smokers still
smoking? Also, recent study found that cannabis, rather than its particular
constituents, more protective, possibly because cannabis elements contains
antioxidant functions, as Hampson study revealed. Doctors cannot administer
that which has not been approved. This needs more careful attention, if
cannabis were as neurotoxic as some studies suggest long term potheads
should be dithering idiots after a decade yet a study published some weeks
ago found very minor deficits after long term use. The emerging concensus is
towards the protective side but this does not validate smoking for
neuroprotection because it makes you so dull and most pot smokers are too
scatter brained to think well(exception, the smart ones who can maintain D1
function at a guess) .... . No, I'm not validating cannabis, but given the
weight of evidence and its favourable profile it should be receiving more
attention.

J. Biol. Chem., Vol. 275, Issue 41, 31938-31945, October 13, 2000
 Anandamide Induces Apoptosis in Human Cells via Vanilloid Receptors
EVIDENCE FOR A PROTECTIVE ROLE OF CANNABINOID RECEPTORS*

The Journal of Neuroscience, April 15, 1999, 19(8):2987-2995

Cannabinoids and Neuroprotection in Global and Focal Cerebral Ischemia and
in Neuronal Cultures
Tetsuya Nagayama1, Amy D. Sinor1, 2, Roger P. Simon1, Jun Chen1, Steven H.
Graham1, Kunlin Jin1, and David A. Greenberg1, 2

Oh and I forgot, cannabinoids inhibit cytokine production, very useful for
protecting brain cells.