Charlie's Animal Research Project -- status update

The Puppy Wizard ThePuppyWizard at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 15 09:45:31 EST 2003

HOWEDY Charlie,

"Charlie Wilkes" <charlie_wilkes at easynews.com> wrote in message
news:7viojv4ea85c1h0s3hlh68mh5avo3u7ab1 at 4ax.com...
> On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 09:34:30 +1000, Richard Vickery
> <Richard.Vickery at unsw.edu.au> wrote:
>
> >Charlie Wilkes wrote:

> >> Good point.  Will successive blind testing work, i.e.,
> >> I monitor and analyze results without knowing which
> >> are control?

You're not gonna have any "control" group within five
hundred feet or MOORE of the DDR Machine, cause
everyWON will hear it.

> > Yes - it just means you can only study new arrivals,

Not if they're all exposed to the SHOWEND.

> > not other cats that might have been exposed (you
> > won't know if the box was on).

Although DDR will calm instances of excitement or
aggression, the way DDR works is rather generalized.
You'll probably not be seeing immediate results, because
this is a LEARNING process. The cats fighting over territory
or evacuating HOWET of their litter boxes will probably
need a couple of days to rehabilitate the ANXIETY that
causes them to indiscriminately fHOWEL their territory
fight, etc.

> > This is not a big problem if new cats arrive regularly.

You'd have to have a history of their behaviors before
turning on the SHOWEND, and take a history over the
forthcoming week or two after the SHOWEND therapy
has been instituted.

> > If you have to wait a month between tests it would
> > really slow down the project.

Probably the best way to determine if DDR is having
any effect would be to ask the caretakers to make
notes of anxiety behaviors, aggression, fHOWELING
HOWEtside of litter boxes, self mutilation, seizures,
etc., and compare that with those behaviors after the
DDR is introduced.

> >Best wishes
> >Richard Vickery
>
> I've got plenty of time, although my torpor is periodically
> interrupted by consulting assignments for my client.

You'll not have to supervise the proceedure very closely,
so long as the DDR is run appupriately by the staff.

> Such is my fate for the next two weeks,

I'd suggest having the staff at the shelter observe
and make notes on the comfort levels of their
critters. New arivals would be introduced to the
SHOWEND, and their progress monitored and
compared to PAST observations and expectations
of their adjustments to the facility.

> so I will have to postpone my experiment at least that long.

If you want to be there yourself, that'll probably not help.
The nature of the process will not show you any immediate
results. You'll do better with casual observation over a period
of a few days or weeks.

> BUT -- your response is good news, because the
> caged, short-term residents are the ones I want to
> study anyway.

That too, may be difficult to quantify, as those critters
may be difficult at first, and will likely make natural
adjustments to their environment and caretakers,
regardless of the SHOWEND.

>  I went to the shelter this afternoon and the manager
> put me to work pulling weeds in the hot sun

Better that than cleanin litter boxes...

> amongst the "ferals," a population of perhaps 40
> long-term residents deemed unsuitable for adoption.

AHHHAAAA!!!

THAT'S THE PUPULATION TO STUDY!!!

We can turn those "unsuitable" critters into HOWEskats,
in a few days of just listening to DDR.

> They have a big, fenced yard with netting over the top,
> and their stress levels are about like those of sun-bathers
> on a beach.

RIGHT. SO LONG AS THEY DON'T HAVE TO
INTERACT IN A HUMAN ENVIRONMENT!

>  They just aren't the right subjects.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!

That's The Puppy Wizard's SPECIALTY!

> It will probably be a month or more before I really
> get this project under way, because I want to get
> to know the people at the shelter

All you need from them are their past and current observations.

> and earn some credibility before I pursue my own
> agenda on their turf.

Well, this will be a HUGE benefit for their critters.