Cannabinoids are potent neuroprotective agents

BilZ0r BilZ0r at TAKETHISOUThotmail.com
Fri Aug 15 18:04:45 EST 2003

>> Don't get me wrong, the the in vitro studies arn't directly
>> comparable to recreational/clinical usages of cannabinoids, but they
>> do point out a need for caution. Also, you say that no neurtoxicity
>> has been shown in vivo with sensible doses. It depends on how you
>> define sesnible doses, if we account for the usual interspecies
>> dosing changes, the doses given to mice to produce "neurotoxicity"
>> are not that outlandish.
>
> The preponderance of evidence clearly points to strong neuroprotective
> effects in vitro.

Well that depends. Put the system under stress from excitotoxicity,
cannabinoids (especailly exogenous) and you'll protect.

There are about 4 different research groups, and about 6 differen't
articles that all show that t anandamide is neurotoxic.
Whether its CB1, VR1 or lipid raft mediated is the question.

That also brings me to the point: I wish people would start using and
opiate/opiod style diferentiation for cannabinoids. I.e. Cannabinoids are
any chemicals which bind to CB receptors, while cannabinates are anything
which comes from cannabis.. or something like that anyways.