Cannabinoids are potent neuroprotective agents

John John at overhere.com.au
Fri Aug 15 19:28:16 EST 2003

One angle that occurred to me last night might interest you. Cannabinates
(!) have been shown to inhibit proliferation of breast and prostate cancer
cells, and in one experiment last year very aggressively killed off a glioma
without damaging nearby tissue. Cannabinates also downregulate proliferation
of immune cells in the lymph nodes.

Cannabinates downregulate il1, il1 has been shown to potentiate or perhaps
even be necessary for the maturation of neural and ogc progenitor cells. I'm
just wondering if cannabinates may also impact on neurogenesis in the
dentate gyrus, thereby, slowly but surely, impacting on hippocampal size and
function, though I imagine this would be a long term consequence.

The lipid raft idea is interesting, I vaguely recall something about CD40
and il12 potentiation of the same leading to increased immunological
activity in the CNS. Lipid rafts appear to be involved here, and keep in
mind that cannabinates, and anandamide I think, increase ceramide
production. In the short term no problem, over the long term however this
does appear to increase the likelihood of cell death. Strangely though, I
vaguely recall one article which claimed that ceramide can also alter the
conformational structure of trka, thereby causing at least partial
generation of second messengers associated with the same. For maturing cells
trka activation can be toxic. Note: microglia can generate CD 40 and CD40 L,
and those microglia that will differentiate into a Dendritic cell like
lineage will express il12p40. Perhaps to think about A and C in relation to
immunological modulation?

johnYYYcoe at tpg.com.au

remove YYY in reply
news:Xns93D970B67A6EFBilZ0rhotmailcom at 202.20.93.13...