Cannabinoids are potent neuroprotective agents

BilZ0r BilZ0r at TAKETHISOUThotmail.com
Sat Aug 16 23:59:30 EST 2003

"John" <John at overhere.com.au> wrote in news:3f3d79f2 at dnews.tpgi.com.au:

> One angle that occurred to me last night might interest you.
> Cannabinates (!) have been shown to inhibit proliferation of breast
> and prostate cancer cells, and in one experiment last year very
> aggressively killed off a glioma without damaging nearby tissue.
> Cannabinates also downregulate proliferation of immune cells in the
> lymph nodes.

Again, in vitro situation. Cannabinoids and anandamide especailly seem to
be really bad for certain cell lines.

> Cannabinates downregulate il1, il1 has been shown to potentiate or
> perhaps even be necessary for the maturation of neural and ogc
> progenitor cells. I'm just wondering if cannabinates may also impact
> on neurogenesis in the dentate gyrus, thereby, slowly but surely,
> impacting on hippocampal size and function, though I imagine this
> would be a long term consequence.

Well its interesting, as far as in vivo win55212-2 administration, you
see:
an increase in cell volume in the:
Subiculum, CA3 and lower blade of the dentate gyrus
and a decrease in cell volume in the CA1 region
while a general icnrease in granule cells in the hippocampus.