Copper & Alzheimer's Disease

Ian Goddard igoddard at erols.mon
Sun Aug 17 20:36:27 EST 2003

galya at volcanomail.com (galya) wrote:

>Ian and Tim,
>
>In his answer, Dr. Weil says the following (from the link that Ian
>posted):
>
>‘'While it's true that distillation removes minerals as well as
>various contaminants from water, we don't know that the human body can
>readily absorb minerals from water. We get our minerals from food, not
>water. By one manufacturer's estimate, you would have to drink 676
>eight-ounce glasses of tap water in Boston to reach the RDA for
>calcium''
>
>At the same time, Dr. Sparks (in the abstract that started this
>discussion) found that the rabbits DID absorb copper from tap water.
>Soooo, while it's impossible to get enough Ca and Mg from drinking
>water, it might be a different for other minerals like copper, that we
>need only in trace amounts.  Makes me wonder about the other parts of
>his answer about which I know nothing.

  IAN: I see your point. However, consider that Weil says the body
  does not "readily absorb" minerals from water. By saying "readily"
  he does not exclude absorption, he says "does not easily absorb."
  It could also be a qualification placed upon minerals per se where
  some are, while others are not, easily absorbed. Or what he may be
  saying is that the body cannot readily UTILIZE minerals from water.

  But his argument seems to rest on the warrant that "pure = good,"
  and I'm not so sure that necessarily follows, especially if the
  matter is that there are some minerals you want to be in water.
  But where I think he makes the case for distillation is that
  there's all kinds of junk you don't want in water, and you
  can't be totally sure how pure spring water is. As far as I
  can see, this points to the best option being distilled; and
  make sure you get enough minerals from food and/or supplements.
  I think that's basically what he's saying, and I tend to agree.

  http://IanGoddard.net

  "To lengthen thy life, lessen thy meals." Ben Franklin

  Ongoing CR-monkey-study update: "In the monkeys...those on
  reduced feeding since the study started are dying at a rate
  that is about half that of the monkeys receiving a full food
  ration." Associated Press: Eating less may extend human life.
  August 1, 2002 : http://www.msnbc.com/news/788746.asp?0si=-