Copper & Alzheimer's Disease

Ian Goddard igoddard at erols.mon
Sun Aug 17 21:02:37 EST 2003

"George W. Cherry" <GWCherryHatesGreenEggsAndSpam at alum.mit.edu> wrote:

>This thread has just scared the hell out of me. I have
>lived the last 11 years in Maine on a lot which has
>no public water. So we have an artesian well. I have
>never had the water tested. I certainly will have it
>tested now.

 IAN: What I don't understand (among so many other things :)
 is how relatively minute traces of copper in water would be
 more harmful than the much larger quantities in food. Perhaps
 it's a matter of organic versus inorganic copper.?? It also
 makes me wonder about copper in vitamin supplements. The Life
 Extension Foundation offers the option of copper-free LE Mix,
 and they excluded iron altogether years ago. The calcium pill
 I take has copper, and I've taken several bottles over time.

 Hope you caught Tim's posts. He made a real good-news find:

 http://www.google.com/groups?selm=HJqBD7.165%40bath.ac.uk
 http://www.google.com/groups?selm=HJqC5q.1zM%40bath.ac.uk

 There are hopeful anti-Alzheimer's drugs that chelate (ie,
 attach to and remove) copper from the brain. The fact that
 these drugs "melted" amyloid deposits in mice in nine weeks
 is not only great news, it's remarkable evidence that copper
 may not merely play a role but might be central to Alzheimer's.

>If it doesn't test safe, I will buy the same non-electric distiller you have.
>BTW, why did you buy a distiller two years ago?

 IAN: Last Friday I distilled three gallons with my new 1600
 Water Wise model. It was more labor intensive than the unit
 I had before, which was very similar to the table-top units
 from http://waterwise.com (it looked just like model 4000).
 With the 1600, you have to watch the time to turn off the
 stove, whereas the table-top units automatically turn off.
 You also have to place water in the three trays above the
 main boiling chamber, and the water in the trays boils off
 into the air, which, if you don't have a fan over the stove
 increases the humidity -- good in winter, bad in the summer.

 See the three trays here: http://waterwise.com/images/1600p.jpg

 The hassle was that for each of the three cycles I ran, the water
 in the trays boiled off BEFORE the main chamber finished, so I had
 to add more water to the three trays. The table-top units are like:
 add water, turn on, forget. But an advantage of the 1600 is that so
 long as you don't smash it up, it may last forever. It also doesn't
 require an output carbon filter and could be used wherever you can
 produce heat, which might be useful on camping trips where you can
 haul it. But you might want to consider a simpler hassle-free unit.
 Just make sure that whatever you buy contains no aluminum parts,
 which matters since the steam is hot and could leach aluminum.

 I purchased my first distiller to reduce the purchasing and hauling
 of gallons of spring water. That unit broke down some time ago and
 I've been doing spring water since. I opted to purchase this unit
 after the growing data on metals and knowing that *supposedly*
 distilled water attracts and removes inorganic metals. It's
 just amazing that a day after it arrived I read this news

 http://IanGoddard.net

 "To lengthen thy life, lessen thy meals." Ben Franklin

 Ongoing CR-monkey-study update: "In the monkeys...those on
 reduced feeding since the study started are dying at a rate
 that is about half that of the monkeys receiving a full food
 ration." Associated Press: Eating less may extend human life.
 August 1, 2002 : http://www.msnbc.com/news/788746.asp?0si=-