Cannabinoids are potent neuroprotective agents

John John at overhere.com.au
Sun Aug 17 20:21:36 EST 2003

--
johnYYYcoe at tpg.com.au

remove YYY in reply
"BilZ0r" <BilZ0r at TAKETHISOUThotmail.com> wrote in message
news:Xns93DAACDD2A946BilZ0rhotmailcom at 202.20.93.13...
> "John" <John at overhere.com.au> wrote in news:3f3d79f2 at dnews.tpgi.com.au:
>
> > One angle that occurred to me last night might interest you.
> > Cannabinates (!) have been shown to inhibit proliferation of breast
> > and prostate cancer cells, and in one experiment last year very
> > aggressively killed off a glioma without damaging nearby tissue.
> > Cannabinates also downregulate proliferation of immune cells in the
> > lymph nodes.
>
> Again, in vitro situation. Cannabinoids and anandamide especailly seem to
> be really bad for certain cell lines.

The glioma was not in vitro and the inhibition makes some sense in light of
reduction in cox 2 (perhaps downstream effect of il1 and tnf inhibition?).
Generally, cycling cells need cox 2 at certain points and when a cell moves
through the phases, if blocked, apoptosis can follow.

> > Cannabinates downregulate il1, il1 has been shown to potentiate or
> > perhaps even be necessary for the maturation of neural and ogc
> > progenitor cells. I'm just wondering if cannabinates may also impact
> > on neurogenesis in the dentate gyrus, thereby, slowly but surely,
> > impacting on hippocampal size and function, though I imagine this
> > would be a long term consequence.
>
> Well its interesting, as far as in vivo win55212-2 administration, you
> see:
> an increase in cell volume in the:
> Subiculum, CA3 and lower blade of the dentate gyrus
> and a decrease in cell volume in the CA1 region
> while a general icnrease in granule cells in the hippocampus.

It is even more interesting if think about growing brains, and don't forget
about ongoing mylineation of the mesocortical track well into the 20th
decade. Hence I think there needs to be more effort into warning children
and teenagers about cannabis consumption, I believe it will impact on brain
development though to what extent I have no idea. However, in searching on
this only found one reference to indicate such an effect (for obvious
reasons you can't do such studies on children).