Cannabinoids are potent neuroprotective agents

John John at overhere.com.au
Mon Aug 18 05:19:47 EST 2003

--
johnYYYcoe at tpg.com.au

remove YYY in reply
"Peter F" <fell_spamtrap_in at ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
news:ssn%a.258$QX5.18327 at nnrp1.ozemail.com.au...

> "John" <John at overhere.com.au> wrote in message
> news:3f3cde7b at dnews.tpgi.com.au...
>
> Don't be discouraged --your overview of neurochemical issues is impressive
> (especially considering that you are a self-confessed amateur. I believe
> 'one reason' (too simply put, but so what) for this difficulty is that
what
> you are up against is the *hardly even begun to be addressed* question of
> where and *how* the brain stores (commonly involving neurons of the
> amygdala) and, , perhaps more importantly, _reroutes_ CURSES (caused by
the
> spectrum of experiences most thoroughly understood as "_selective
> Hibernation_ inducing type situations").
>
> Just one of the rather ironic consequences of our AEVASIVE character.
>
> Nevertheless, it seem to me to exist a trickle of a trend (and very
> slow-moving) towards coming to terms with this tiny, but to our lives
> fundamentally very important, aspect of What Is going on.
>
> With regards,

Thanks Peter,

I'm also a self confessed idiot, the proof being that I would even bother
with this madness in the first place. I'd rather dip my eye in hot cockey's
cack than keep reading more of this drivel but my brain has won the battle
again. I hate my brain, it always making me do things that cost me time,
money, and energy. I had expected that with all the drugs I had plied it
with over the years that by now it would be happy little chappie but not so,
a never satisfied little bastard if ever there was one. Curses on my brain,
how I long for the feeling of Fern Hill (Dylan Thomas - beautiful,
magnificient poet).

There are days when I would rather walk backwards to Bourke than continue
with this stuff. I reckon I must have a few kangaroos loose in the top
paddock, or perhaps my common sense went walkabout and didn't come back.
Just dunno mate, though I am one of the sharper tools in the shed I'd rather
put a shrimp on the barbie and knock back a few cold ones.

Nonetheless if any discipline required the wisdom of Nietzsche, this game is
it: "The essential thing in heaven and on earth is that there is a long
obedience in the same direction; there thereby results, and has always
resulted in the long run, something which has made life worth living."
(Beyond Good and Evil). So I follow the lead of that glorious poet, T S
Eliot, "I read, much of the night, and go south in the winter." (The
Wasteland) Surely current Neuroscience reifies his sentiment,

The wisdom only the knowledge of dead secrets
Useless in the darkness into which they peered
Or from which they turned their eyes. There is, it seems
to us

At best, only a limited value
In the knowledge derived from experience.
The knowledge imposes a pattern, and falsifies,
For the pattern is new in every moment
And every moment is a new and shocking
Valuation of all we have been ...

T. S. Eliot, East Coker.

Oh dear me I've been quoting poetry on a science ng. That'll annoy the
serious sods. Some have suggested, tried to drive me into Neuroscience.
Fools they be, a few eggs short of a dozen, a screw loose somewhere, I'd
rather reify the wisdom of Heraclitus: "Man is most nearly himself when he
achieves the seriousness of a child at play." Life is this country is just
too good to take too much too seriously. I think to be really good in
Neuroscience one needs to heed the words of Williams James,

"I have often thought,' wrote William James, "the the best way to define a
man's character would be to seek out the particular mental or moral attitude
in which, when it came upon him, fe felt himself most intensely active and
alive. At such moments there is a voice inside which speaks and says: 'This
is the real me!'"

Had to throw in that last quote to avoid being trampled with "stop the arty
farty stuff!" Now please excuse me, I have some CURSES calling me; which is
better than Dead Souls (Joy Division) at least.

John.