Severe Attention Disorder Linked with Drug Abuse

Pete nospam Zakel pxhxz at cadence.com
Mon Aug 18 17:34:25 EST 2003

In article <bhr2g9$14r$1 at slb3.atl.mindspring.net> "Steve Harris" <sbharris at ix.RETICULATEDOBJECTcom.com> writes:

>"Jeff Utz" <kidsdoc2000 at hotmail.com> wrote in message
>news:bhqej7$h57 at library1.airnews.net...

>> It has been known for a while that kids with ADHD have
>higher risk taking
>> behaviors, including alcohol and drug abuse.

>Therefore to treat this, we prescribe them a class of drugs
>which is widely abused.

If it's the correct treatment, then what's the problem?

Note that one study shows that kids with ADHD who are treated with that
class of drugs end up with a risk of alcohol and drug abuse equal to those
without ADHD.

Doesn't that indicate that perhaps the treatment is working?

-Pete Zakel
 (phz at seeheader.nospam)

    Sex is like a bridge game --
    If you have a good hand no partner is needed.