Rapid brain shrinkage an early sign of schizophrenia?

John John at overhere.com.au
Fri Aug 22 03:38:18 EST 2003

No-one knows how the human brain works, and it is not that uncommon in
medicine to prescribe something with unknown effects to treat an order of
unknown etiology. It is a problem but the best we can do at present is find
out what does help and go from there.

The abnormalities appear long before medication begins.

There are serious moral questions here but the problem is when the patient
reaches a stage where they are injuring themselves or others or heading on a
destructive path. Yes, I do believe medications are relied on far too much
and this is particularly true in relation to depression. This problem
however is driven as much by economic concerns as it is by medical factors.
Pscyhotherapy or behavoural therapy are very expensive. I wish there was a
better way but as long as health care is heavily influenced by economics
there is bugger all you or I can do about it.

Yes, it would be nice to find other approaches but in relation to
schizophrenia those approaches are a long way off. For depression at least
viable options should be explored but all too often aren't. Yes, the
psychiatric community has become too reliant on drug regimes but it's not
like they have any real choice in the matter. No, they are not fudging the
data in any intentional way. No, they are not being malacious in their
activities, just facing up to practical realities. Any finally yes, many in
the mental health fields would love to find better alternatives.

johnYYYcoe at tpg.com.au

remove YYY in reply
news:Xns93DE5FEF5D236bytemybnanacom at 142.77.1.194...