Rapid brain shrinkage an early sign of schizophrenia?

Byte Me bytemyb at nana.com
Fri Aug 22 07:35:34 EST 2003

"John" <John at overhere.com.au> put fingertips to keyboard and
tap-tap-tapped out the following communication:

> No-one knows how the human brain works, and it is not that uncommon in
> medicine to prescribe something with unknown effects to treat an order
> of unknown etiology. It is a problem but the best we can do at present
> is find out what does help and go from there.

The only 'etiology' involved here is someone's behavior, beliefs, way of
life and perception of their surroundings. The interpretion of the above
is 100 per cent subjective and it cannot be physically verified.

Yet on a daily basis such subjective (and often overtly biased)
interpretations result in innocent people losing their freedom and the
right to make  decisions on their own behalf, and being administered
unhelpful and potentially damaging 'treatments' even over their clear
objections.

In some jurisdictions a single doctor's signature can make this happen
and there is never anything even resembling due process. In others the
judiciary does become involved in varying capacities but due to the
overwhelming social bias connected to such situations it's impossible to
guarantee fairness.

I still maintain that certain areas of 'research' need to be marked
'don't go there' for moral reasons because the likelihood of lasting harm
far outweighs any potential benefit. Personally, I'd go as far as to
describe this kind of pseudo-medical meddling as being literally the rape
of the human soul.

As thinking beings, we were created with total individual control over
who accesses our innermost mental processes for a very good reason. In
its arrogance psychiatry is seeking to override this inviolable natural
barrier, and then subjectively interpreting what it 'discovers' beyond
there. And once more, the old adage that 'it's not nice to fool Mother
Nature' holds true.