Drug addiction relapse neurons identified

El Doper Mean Nospam at nospam.au
Fri Aug 22 09:42:26 EST 2003

Glen M. Sizemore wrote:

> The behavioral effects of such stimuli have been known for 30 years. Funny
> how, when one finds some neurons whose firing corresponds to the presence of
> the stimuli, it is an Earth-shattering breakthrough. I guess the search for
> inner causes that began with animism is still going strong. Don't get me
> wrong, the neurobiological fact is interesting and may someday fit into some
> larger picture ("drug addiction relapse neurons" indeed), but where was all
> the hoopla when Goldberg was maintaining tens of thousands of lever presses
> for a single cocaine injection on second-order schedules (a related
> phenomenon)?

The difference is how they tested it and what they could conclude from
the information.

Nothing unusual, but it seems to be the first study which establishes
that you can induce a pavlovian response in the long term, in mice, and
moreover it is due to that center in particular. A lot of these findings
aren't groundbreaking alone, but they confirm that mice have similar
effects, so that when you're trying to interpret other results, it is
more likely to ring true for people.