Copper & Alzheimer's Disease

George W. Cherry GWCherryHatesGreenEggsAndSpam at alum.mit.edu
Fri Aug 22 20:53:29 EST 2003

"Ian Goddard" <igoddard at erols.mon> wrote in message
news:2p9ckvgjub3n4c92nglfvm6c73pihq75dg at 4ax.com...
> > IAN: Last Friday I distilled three gallons with my new 1600
> > Water Wise model. It was more labor intensive than the unit
> > I had before, which was very similar to the table-top units
> > from http://waterwise.com (it looked just like model 4000).
>

>   UPDATE: I'm returning the model 1600 that I just purchased.
>   At least for the unit I received, there's a serious problem.
>   I purchased a long tube (about three-feet long) that runs to
>   a three-gallon collection tank. I just noticed that along the
>   path that the distilled water ran from the unit into the tank
>   there is a copper(!!) colored residue that is very dark where
>   the water first entered the tube and progressively lighter as
>   it nears the end of the tube. The color is actually a shinny
>   copper color! There's also a similar color at the water line
>   on the collection tray. I do not know what this residue is,
>   but no question it means the output water was NOT pure. I
>   also don't know what kind of metal was used in soldering
>   the many different pieces of metal in the complex unit.
>
>   Given that my last distiller clearly appeared to have
>   aluminum collection tubing, my feeling is that I don't
>   have the time, resources, or inclination to hunt and
>   peck for safe distillers. Moreover, if you purchase
>   distilled water, you can't know what the distillation
>   system used by the manufacturer is made of. The highly
>   aggressive nature of distilled water (ie, it's tendency
>   to attract metals) means any leechable metals in the
>   system that come in contact with the water may pollute
>   the water and thereby defeat the distillation process.
>   With that in mind, I think for me the default decision
>   is use spring water and simple carbon-filtered tap water.

Thanks for this update on your distiller. I (and,
I'm sure, others) appreciate this kind of informa-
tion. I just received a test kit for supplying the
water testing company with specimens of our
water. I checked the specs on our house (in Maine).
Our well is a 340 foot deep artesian well. I have
my fingers crossed that the water is healthful (it
certainly tastes good). Of course, the quality of
the water from the tap depends on our plumbing
also. The plumbing (at least what I can see of it)
is copper. I notice corrosion on the outside of
the pipes. I hope copper plumbing is safe. I've
been drinking this water almost exclusively for
12 years, and I've noticed a little "cognitive slip-
page". Of course, that could be due to my reck-
less consumption of tofu. : o ) Slake your thirst
with appropriate caution, huh? If our water is
really healthful, maybe I'll bottle and sell it: "Kit-
tery Point Spring Water: It keeps you smart".

George

http://www.google.com/groups?selm=v92ojv8btt8ioq46dlpfkrb1e45nrhblt0%404ax.com

http://www.google.com/groups?selm=gq8havshkhetd6s78ctbgvc8iev0gtma1n%404ax.com

http://www.google.com/groups?selm=bhfmiv867s916mglu8ioerf60ninn8b2hs%404ax.com