Drug addiction relapse neurons identified

Acid Pooh poohonlsd at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 22 21:51:15 EST 2003

"Glen M. Sizemore" <gmsizemore2 at yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<d79160134ec3829436b8c172452a5d54 at free.teranews.com>...
> The behavioral effects of such stimuli have been known for 30 years. Funny
> how, when one finds some neurons whose firing corresponds to the presence of
> the stimuli, it is an Earth-shattering breakthrough. I guess the search for
> inner causes that began with animism is still going strong. Don't get me
> wrong, the neurobiological fact is interesting and may someday fit into some
> larger picture ("drug addiction relapse neurons" indeed), but where was all
> the hoopla when Goldberg was maintaining tens of thousands of lever presses
> for a single cocaine injection on second-order schedules (a related
> phenomenon)?

Hmm...  Here's a neat idea for an experiment.  Get a few hundred
thousand mice addicted to cocaine, using a similar setup as above.
Use strong magnetic fields to temporarily incapacitate the neurons
implicated in this experiment.  See what happens.  Or a variation:
wait a few months after administration of Cocaine HCL, and then zap
the mice.  Or another:  Release the 100,000 mice on the streets of
Glasgow and see if anybody notices.

Any hypothesis as to what might happen?

'cid 'ooh