Rat study shows exposure to Ecstasy early in pregnancy induces brain changes

Steady Eddy nonsmoking1 at comcast.net
Sat Aug 30 22:03:27 EST 2003

Jasbird <Jasbird#dead-mail-box#@myrealbox.com> wrote in message news:<0280lvcqq4c4d7ltog6fkf8aqi80g4fvdl at 4ax.com>...
> Rat study shows exposure to Ecstasy early in pregnancy induces brain
> changes
>
> Researchers have shown that 21-day-old rat pups exposed in the womb to
> the drug MDMA (3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine, often called
> Ecstasy) during a period corresponding to the first trimester in human
> pregnancy exhibit changes in brain chemistry and behavior. "Existing
> data suggest that most women who use MDMA stop taking it when they
> learn they are pregnant," says NIDA Director Dr. Nora D. Volkow. "But
> the animal studies that linked this drug to neurobiological changes
> and learning impairments were conducted in situations analogous to the
> third trimester in humans. This study sought to investigate a more
> true-to-life situation by looking at the consequences of Ecstasy
> exposure early in pregnancy."
>
> cont...
> <http://www.scienceblog.com/community/article1966.html>
> <http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2003-08/rpsl-ted082903.php>
> <http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/030829/dcf005_1.html>
> 	_	_	_	_	_	_	_	_	_	_	_	_	_	_
>
> : Dr. Jack W. Lipton, doctoral student James Koprich, and their
> : colleagues injected 8 pregnant rats twice daily with MDMA from day 14
> : through day 20 of pregnancy,

> : a period corresponding to the first 3 months of human fetal
> : development. The scientists injected saline
> : twice daily during the same period to another 8 pregnant rats. The
> : researchers examined brain tissue of the rat pups when they were 21
> : days old. A 21-day-old rat pup is roughly equivalent to a 2- to
> : 6-year-old child.
>

> : "Our most striking finding was that 21-day-old MDMA-exposed pups had a
> : 502-percent increase in the number of dopamine neuron fibers in the
> : frontal cortex compared with control animals," notes Dr. Lipton.
> : Abnormal or overly numerous connections in the frontal cortex may
> : result in aberrant signaling there, possibly resulting in abnormal
> : behavior.
>
> Every NIDA study uses huge quantities of MDMA to show that MDMA is
> toxic in huge quantities.  I recommend that people don't do huge
> amounts of MDMA - especially not several times per night nor several
> days at a time.

I recommend that if you are going to bring children into this world
you give them the best chance that you can. Only a selfish drug using,
child abusing moron like Jisbird would think that it is ok to use
ecstacy during pregnancy. I think I would take the word of  Dr. Jack
W. Lipton, doctoral student James Koprich, and their colleagues before
I would listen to the advice of a moronic sick bastard like you.