Axon collaterals ?

Joe Legris jalegris at
Wed Dec 17 20:55:39 EST 2003

nettron2000 at wrote:
> Joe Legris <jalegris at> wrote in message news:<3FDFBB23.6060108 at>...
>>Matthew Kirkcaldie wrote:
>>>Why would an autapse from an excitatory neuron constitute "negative
>>>feedback"?  It would be a positive feedback loop if anything.
>>>         Matthew.
>>Positive feedback might make a neuron "bursty" - so that any time it
>>fires, there's a good chance it will fire many times in rapid
>>succession. Maybe the length of the feedback loop sets the bursting speed.
>  Bursting speed ? I was under the assumption that a typical neuron
> operated at its max "frequency" when bursting. If this isnt
> necessarily the case, then what could be the alleged purpose of
> bursting in neural computation ?

I don't know if there are various bursting speeds, I was only guessing.

Now that I think about it a little more, positive feedback would have
the effect of making the neuron progressively more active, so that its
firing rate would increase at a rate proportional to its present firing
rate. An exponential function?

Joe Legris