Other factors besides light.

nordskoven nordskoven at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 9 01:05:43 EST 2003

It's great to have full-spectrum lighting. There is a cell mass in the
eye (discovered by a famous time-lapse photographer for Disney) that
tunes our hormone production to the quality and quantity of light.
There are cheap full-spectrum incandescent lights at virtually every
health food store. Fabric stores also sell a full-spectrum light, but
who needs the flicker of neon?

There are also a Seasonal Affective Diet, if I may say. People with
"Leaky Cell" who shouldn't be eating turkey with its tryptophan.
People who shouldn't be eating holiday sugar and chocolates.

But there are other factors that can make a person funky in the
winter. If there are environmental toxins, a closed house can
aggravate this. Check the furnace to see if there is a Carbon Monoxide
leak. Make sure the furnace is venting properly and not back-drafting
with the counter sucking of a clothes dryer, for example. It is
important to use a good quality pleated furnace filter so junk doesn't
get recirculated. If it is a forced air furnace with an in-line
humidifier, there could be a lot of mold in the ductwork. Cut the duct
humidifier and clean the ducts, and use a cheap free-standing tank
humidifier if needed.

And a common source of mold toxins is the defroster pan under the
fridge. Dig it out and scrub it up well with bleach. If mold
sensitivity is suspected, take a little Caprylic Acid to whack back
endemic levels of Candida or other yeast in the body to ease
sensitivity, and up the intake of Vitamin C. And stay hydrated, of
course.

Inactivity in the winter can cause the levels of Cortisol to stay too
high. This unpleasant prostaglandin needs to be burned off with a
little exercise every day. And don't forget to supplement with the
sunshine vitamin and it's buddies: Vitamin D, A, and Calcium.

I would not use a negative ion generator as virtually all of them on
the market create ozone which scalds lung tissue and can aggravate
heart patients. Not a nice thing. nordskoven at yahoo.com