Are we motivated by sex or communcation?

Jack d.kelly at NO.ucl.ac.uk.SPAM
Sun Feb 23 11:29:36 EST 2003

"Peter F" <fell_spamtrap_in at ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
news:4QU5a.93$Il5.3058 at nnrp1.ozemail.com.au...

> "Jack" <d.kelly at NO.ucl.ac.uk.SPAM> wrote in message
> news:b36jjf$k5m$1 at uns-a.ucl.ac.uk...
> > Hi,
> >
> > Many people think that humans are motivated by sex and only sex.  I
would
> > like to explore the other option: that humans are designed to help
evolve
> > their culture.  By this I mean that the main, innate goal for humans is
> > acquire knowledge about the world and then pass this on to other
> > individuals.  <snip>
>
> > Which option is it?
>
> It is both.
> (Is it not obvious?!)

I agree that's it's both.  But I'm really arguing with Freud and being
overly 'contrasty' to get the point across that not everything is about sex.