Justifying "Hibernation" as more than a neuropsychobiological metaphor for repressed feelings caused by traumatic situations.

Kenneth Collins k.p.collins at worldnet.att.net_NOSPAM
Sun Feb 23 16:56:24 EST 2003

Hi, Peter. How does your stuff differ from run of the mill
"depression"?

ken

"Peter F" <fell_spamtrap_in at ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
news:p%J5a.270$Mg4.11395 at nnrp1.ozemail.com.au...
| I use the capitalized word "Hibernation" as more than just a
| neuropsychobiological metaphor for repressed feelings caused by
traumatic
| situations.
|
| [By the way, traumas are a subcategory of adverse 'individually
lived'
| situations, or ditto life-situations, that I like to describe as
"selective
| Hibernation imploring type situations" -- in order that a well
deserved
| acronym can be derived ;-) ].
|
| Here I justify why:
|
| Repression ("selective Hibernation") is an adaptation to slowly as
well as
| rapidly traumatic situations.
|
| In repression, neural circuits (and linked hormonal pathways) that
when
| activated specifically produce pain, distress and/or grief is being
| selectively 'metabolically mellowed' (so to speak) by specific
inhibitory
| neural mechanisms.
|
| In "conventional Hibernation" (of _both_ long draught conditions
and long
| harsh winters) by a whole-sale lowering of the individual's
metabolic rate
| (withinn both its brain and body) occurs; The individual becomes
unconscious
| and generally ceases to behave during its period of "conventional
| Hibernation". Similarly, an individual may become selectively
unconscious
| and selectively cancels both its vital signs of distress and overt
| motor-behavioural (flight or fight) responses to the traumatizing
| environmental adversity (absence type as well as presence type
such).

| Both "hibernation" (what is conventionally meant by the word) and
"selective
| (discretely inhibitory of certain neurons) Hibernation" is "a
strategy of
| abidance" as if in anticipation of no longer adverse environmental
| conditions.
|
| In the case of "selective Hibernation", it is, as if, also a way to
abide
| until the individual grows mentally and socially strong enough to
thaw from
| the self-regulatory freeze of (its state of being repression) and
| self-regulated in the natural manner of specifically and
systematically