Justifying "Hibernation" as more than a neuropsychobiological metaphor for repressed feelings caused by traumatic situations.

Peter F fell_spamtrap_in at ozemail.com.au
Mon Feb 24 00:58:43 EST 2003

"Kenneth Collins" <k.p.collins at worldnet.att.net_NOSPAM> wrote in message
news:csb6a.47714$rq4.3960666 at bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> Hi, Peter. How does your stuff differ from run of the mill
> "depression"?
>
> ken

Hi Ken,

Close but not quite! :-)

It _is_ a way of looking, primarily, at _repression_ (not depression) from a
somewhat different angle and seeing it in a more encompassing-than-usual
explanatory (philosophical/terminological) context.

Not "depression", since the best [IMO] use for this word is to refer
specifically to 'psychoemotionally down' states and NOT to
'psychoemotionally up' (or manic) states EVEN THOUGH they are at the
opposite ends of the same 'evolved functional scale' of neurological
repression in action.

When I write "depression" I do so in a sense clearly opposed to creative and
constructive or crazy and chaos-generating "mania".

To me depression (in the sense of being 'psychoemotionally down') is a
serotonin and dopamin depleted symptom of being 'thus stuck' (so to speak).

Usually mainly as a result of the kind (and variety) of adverse experiences,
and the corresponding category of memories that are normally automatically
and unavoidably as if "conditioned in" by these experiences, repressive
neurological reflexes (acquired through learning as well as activated purely
by environmentally provoked instinctive pain-"gating" mechanisms) keep us
from becoming distressfully and self-defeatingly directly conscious about
[or, as I like to put it: "selective Hibernation keeps us from "paying" full
and _futile_ flight or fight type actention to"] SHITS (sEPTic humored term
that represents: from gradually to suddenly traumatizing, or "selective
Hibernation imploring", life-time events or situations) come "CURSES" (or
"CCKHHURSES").

The last concEPT of mine - it is allowed to be spelled either way, or even
to be misspelt (by direct permission from the author) - that you have also
seen before, has [IMO] a more efficient, tight, profound and explicitly defi
ned meaning than any of the more conventional alternative concepts (or
expressions) that I know of (e.g. "traumatic memories", "engrams", "primal
pain", or 'memories at the root of PTSD').

Best wishes,

Peter