Kenneth Collins k.p.collins at worldnet.att.net_NOSPAM
Tue Feb 25 17:23:07 EST 2003

Here's another case in-point:

"50 Years Later, Rosalind Franklin's X-Ray Fuels Debate", By DENISE GRADY

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/02/25/science/25FRAN.html

Dr. Franklin probably died [of ensuing ovarian cancer at age 37] due to her exposure to x-rays while doing the work which included "photo 51", which was instrumental in resolving the double-helix nature of DNA, yet, IMO, while she was alive, she was badly victimized by "the way things are supposed to be in science". IMO, her work, and her struggle to contribute to the body of understanding, were usurped. She was cast-aside, her 'reward' for the work she did, a premature death shrouded within Lies that denied the facts of her contributions to Science.

I can see her, there, dedicated to her work, experiencing it being usurped, and when she protested such, being met with withering criticism ["Clearly Rosy had to go or be put in her place," Dr. Watson wrote in Chapter 2 and added, later, "The thought could not be avoided that the best home for a feminist was in another person's lab."], even by those who went on to win laurels, using her work, while denying the crucial reality of her contribution.

We are all diminished when we 'stand by', allowing this sort of thing to exist within the midst of our doing Science.

"That's not our responsibility." ...?

Yes it is..

[Forgive me, please. There's stuff that just needs fixing in-there.]

K. P. Collins