Dennis Clark dlc at
Wed Jan 1 22:34:44 EST 2003

In comp.robotics.misc Erik Max Francis <max at> wrote:
: Dennis Clark wrote:

:> Those stating that belief is the same for science as for religion miss
:> a key point.
:> SOMEONE proved a scientific theory.

: This betrays some misunderstanding of the scientific method.  In
: science, you never prove theories, you only disprove them.  You can
: never have a "proven" theory as a matter of course, although you can
: obviously have theories that are so well-established that they are all
: for all intents and purposes engineering facts.

  All right, all right, I was taking a shortcut there because I thought
the faith-scientist would not know or understand the "null hypothesis"
and I really didn't want to try to explain it.  You are correct.

mea culpa,
* Dennis Clark         dlc at         *
* "Building Robot Drive Trains" published by McGraw-Hill 2002              *