Reprogramming

"Kooter" <cbowling nospam at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
Sat Jul 5 02:37:17 EST 2003

"J Zijlstra" <jw53z at xs4all.nl> wrote in message
news:10cjfvsggdvsjfa91sk3uohkl76fp29afd at 4ax.com...
> On Wed, 25 Jun 2003 09:51:12 -0400, r norman <rsnorman_ at _comcast.net>
> wrote:

<snip>

> >Reading, learning, thinking long and hard
> >about things, behaving -- all these rewire our brain. Drugs may change
> >the way that particular plastic changes happen, but there is no way
> >that we can even imagine finding a drug that will magically rewire
> >things in the "right" way.
> 2 things then A new question we have,
>
> Aren't there any drugs that will lets say make your brain (Cruelly
> speaking) like super conductors better able to change/adapt or
> whatever?

There are ways to induce dendrite growth in the brain. Exercise has been
shown to produce brain growth factors and, according to Psychology Today,
there are indications that fasting on alternate days will do the same. Brain
growth factors increase the density of dendrite networks.

> And how is this process going to happen? Do we need to read a specific
> kind of book that will stimulate us in a way of thinking? Oh And avoid
> some situations..

Yes. Certain books will produce positive changes in the brain. One that I'm
about a third of the way thru and highly recommend is "Neuroscience
Exploring the Brain" by Bear, Connors, and Paradiso.

It's not going to do you much good to speculate about changing your brain if
you don't have any idea what it is you're trying to change.

As a side note, depending on your definition of "positive change", all drugs
prescribed for nervous system disorders produce positive change under the
right set of conditions.