Announcing: Answers To Top 10 Questions About The Brain

David Longley David at
Fri Jul 11 03:35:56 EST 2003

In article <beldms$kca$1 at>, Mr Michael Bibby
<s4032484 at> writes
>>“if you put a thermometer in a pan of water and heat the water up, ceteris
>>paribus the water will boil at 100 degrees C". Is that true or false?
>If you fix the empirical meaning of the observational terms in a rigid
>theoretical framework, they yes, this statement, within that framework, is
>considered ‘true’.
>The truth or falsehood of a synthetic ......

>The fundamental problem may then be stated as follows; how do we pick and choose
>between competing versions of reality?
>This, at least for me, is the crux of the matter as it all boils down to this.

What you should do is remember the above water boiling and 100 C
relation and collect as many of those as possible whilst doing your
degree, making sure you are aware if the appropriate ceteris paribus

Dump all the rest of this nonsense.

>I know that you said that your comments where intended to be constructive, I
>think this attitude is a bit didactic, condescending and patronizing as it seems
>to imply that you are educating me.

I most certainly *AM* trying to educate you. If I don't, then either
there's no point to education or you're incorrigibly arrogant and I
won't be the first or last to point this out.

> I only wish to orient you towards a
>different view of things, a different means and way of thinking about science,
>you may not like the view afforded you, and that’s o.k., we will go from there-
>but it is useless biting my finger without looking to where it is pointing
>simply because it is less worn out than your own.

I already know more about most of this stuff than you do - one of the
sad functions of being older and having had more time to read etc  -
trust me).

>I am not at university to be educated- I am here as a means to some other end,
>but along the way I have picked up a thing or two. I learn far more outside of
>university lecture halls than I do inside of them; I find it is like listening
>to a sermon: we are told what to think and dispensed from thinking!

Sounds like pretty standard University policy to me. The lecturers have
this idea that they know more than you - patronizing isn't it?

>I would like to know your thoughts.

Well, you now have them - my advice is to catch on and don't waste any
more time. People with more experience are worth listening to - and
that's something you'll wish you had done more of the older you get - so
start NOW and drop most of this nonsense.

PS: for some light reading:

David Longley