Announcing: Answers To Top 10 Questions About The Brain

David Longley David at longley.demon.co.uk
Fri Jul 11 03:35:56 EST 2003

In article <beldms$kca$1 at bunyip.cc.uq.edu.au>, Mr Michael Bibby
<s4032484 at student.uq.edu.au> writes
>>“if you put a thermometer in a pan of water and heat the water up, ceteris
>>paribus the water will boil at 100 degrees C". Is that true or false?
>
>If you fix the empirical meaning of the observational terms in a rigid
>theoretical framework, they yes, this statement, within that framework, is
>considered ‘true’.
>
>The truth or falsehood of a synthetic ......

<snip>

>The fundamental problem may then be stated as follows; how do we pick and choose
>between competing versions of reality?
>
>This, at least for me, is the crux of the matter as it all boils down to this.

What you should do is remember the above water boiling and 100 C
relation and collect as many of those as possible whilst doing your
degree, making sure you are aware if the appropriate ceteris paribus
clauses.

Dump all the rest of this nonsense.

<snip>

>I know that you said that your comments where intended to be constructive, I
>think this attitude is a bit didactic, condescending and patronizing as it seems
>to imply that you are educating me.

I most certainly *AM* trying to educate you. If I don't, then either
there's no point to education or you're incorrigibly arrogant and I
won't be the first or last to point this out.

> I only wish to orient you towards a
>different view of things, a different means and way of thinking about science,
>you may not like the view afforded you, and that’s o.k., we will go from there-
>but it is useless biting my finger without looking to where it is pointing
>simply because it is less worn out than your own.

I already know more about most of this stuff than you do - one of the
sad functions of being older and having had more time to read etc  -
trust me).

>I am not at university to be educated- I am here as a means to some other end,
>but along the way I have picked up a thing or two. I learn far more outside of
>university lecture halls than I do inside of them; I find it is like listening
>to a sermon: we are told what to think and dispensed from thinking!

Sounds like pretty standard University policy to me. The lecturers have
this idea that they know more than you - patronizing isn't it?

>I would like to know your thoughts.
>
>mickeyd

Well, you now have them - my advice is to catch on and don't waste any
more time. People with more experience are worth listening to - and
that's something you'll wish you had done more of the older you get - so
start NOW and drop most of this nonsense.

PS: for some light reading:

http//www.longley.demon.co.uk/Frag.htm

--
David Longley