Right Angular Gyrus and OOBEs

r norman rsnorman_ at _comcast.net
Sat Jul 12 15:45:21 EST 2003

On Sat, 12 Jul 2003 12:09:22 -0400 (EDT), NobodysLabRat at webtv.net (T.
G.) wrote:

>To the Group:
>
>Back in September 2002, I remember reading that Swiss researchers had
>discovered a way of inducing out-of-body experiences by stimulating a
>part of the brain known as the "right angular gyrus". My questions:
>Where exactly is this region of the brain? For OOBE enthusiasts, how
>might a similar experiment (stimulation of that specific region) be
>safely conducted at home?
>
>T.G.

Blanke O, Ortigue S, Landis T, Seeck M.
Stimulating illusory own-body perceptions.
Nature. 2002 Sep 19;419(6904):269-70.

Abstract:

'Out-of-body' experiences (OBEs) are curious, usually brief sensations
in which a person's consciousness seems to become detached from the
body and take up a remote viewing position. Here we describe the
repeated induction of this experience by focal electrical stimulation
of the brain's right angular gyrus in a patient who was undergoing
evaluation for epilepsy treatment. Stimulation at this site also
elicited illusory transformations of the patient's arm and legs
(complex somatosensory responses) and whole-body displacements
(vestibular responses), indicating that out-of-body experiences may
reflect a failure by the brain to integrate complex somatosensory and
vestibular information.

I don't have on-line access to Nature and would have to walk all the
way to the campus library to read the whole thing to see the
technique.

However, if you are willing to undergo open-brain surgery while
conscious, and you can locate the angular gyrus on the right side (see
http://braininfo.rprc.washington.edu/Scripts/hiercentraldirectory.asp?ID=91)
then it is a piece of cake!