Explain this SERENDIPITY and these COINCIDENCES?

Lee W also_ran50 at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 19 03:33:56 EST 2003

I was adopted at 6 months, having been taken from my biological mother
at 6 weeks. Apparently I did see my mother, who was 14 at the time.

At 19 I developed an obsession with a girl, a fellow student aged 17.
I'll called her Z.

At 23 I fell in love with X, who I met through a music paper advert
which I placed. We only sent each other letters for the first 3
months.

At 31, last year, I traced my mother, and she looks like an exact mix
of X and Z: more like Z from the side, especially when she smiles;
more like X from the front, inclusing eyes, chin, nose. It's really
spooky. I had thought that my bond with X was related to our
interests, and that my interest in Z was down to our outsider
behaviour.

This isn't simply a case of a man going for women who remind him of
his mother. I've seen that happen with a friend: he saw her in a shop
and approached her, which is completely different. I hadn't seen X,
the only respondant to my advert in an internationally distributed
magazine. I have been quite a rational thing, having therapy and doing
a degree, in English and Philosophy, in my teens and 20s instead of
plumping for Dionysian excess.

Also, while looking for my mother, I rang one number I found of a
woman who had the same first name, and she turned out to be the
cleaner of my mother's childhood home.

So how does this work? (I feel like some character in an allegorical
novel, tricky stuff in the postmodern age.) What happened here? Is it
a message/gesture from 'God'? I've vaccilated between agnosticism and
atheism since losing Christian faith, for all the right educated
reasons, I think, in 1989.

Am I missing something?