Explain this SERENDIPITY and these COINCIDENCES?

The Frederick mmcneill at fuzzysys.com
Sat Jul 19 04:52:30 EST 2003

Lee W wrote:

> I was adopted at 6 months, having been taken from my biological mother
> at 6 weeks. Apparently I did see my mother, who was 14 at the time.
>
> At 19 I developed an obsession with a girl, a fellow student aged 17.
> I'll called her Z.
>
> At 23 I fell in love with X, who I met through a music paper advert
> which I placed. We only sent each other letters for the first 3
> months.
>
> At 31, last year, I traced my mother, and she looks like an exact mix
> of X and Z: more like Z from the side, especially when she smiles;
> more like X from the front, inclusing eyes, chin, nose. It's really
> spooky. I had thought that my bond with X was related to our
> interests, and that my interest in Z was down to our outsider
> behaviour.
>
> This isn't simply a case of a man going for women who remind him of
> his mother. I've seen that happen with a friend: he saw her in a shop
> and approached her, which is completely different. I hadn't seen X,
> the only respondant to my advert in an internationally distributed
> magazine. I have been quite a rational thing, having therapy and doing
> a degree, in English and Philosophy, in my teens and 20s instead of
> plumping for Dionysian excess.
>
> Also, while looking for my mother, I rang one number I found of a
> woman who had the same first name, and she turned out to be the
> cleaner of my mother's childhood home.
>
> So how does this work? (I feel like some character in an allegorical
> novel, tricky stuff in the postmodern age.) What happened here? Is it
> a message/gesture from 'God'? I've vaccilated between agnosticism and
> atheism since losing Christian faith, for all the right educated
> reasons, I think, in 1989.
>
> Am I missing something?

Yes. At least 80 percent of all behavior (including subjective behavior,
often called subjective experience) is genetically based. That doesn't
mean "totally" determined by, but does mean constrained by. You are very normal.
The other 20 percent is based in the context of development.
The experience of "freedom" is based on folk lore, and pragmatic genetic
based brain structure and function. No magic here.
BTW there are other alternatives than agnosticism, atheism , and the other
confabulated faith stories. For instance, my religion is science.

--
Best,
Frederick Martin McNeill
mmcneill at fuzzysys.com
http://www.fuzzysys.com
http://members.cox.net/fmmcneill/
Phrase of the week :
"It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value."
Arthur C. Clarke
Mark Twain said :  " When we remember we are all mad ,
  the mysteries disappear and life stands explained . "
 :-))))Snort!)