Charlie's Animal Research Lab seeks expert help.

The Puppy Wizard ThePuppyWizard at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 26 17:59:07 EST 2003

"Marshall Dermer" <dermer at alpha1.csd.uwm.edu> wrote in message
news:bfv0tq$4nl$1 at uwm.edu...
> In article <56t5iv0ph9los9d49qjo85m30vru8krood at 4ax.com>
> charlie_wilkes at easynews.com writes:
> >I'm not interested in what Amy thinks based on a general understanding
> >of how the thing works.  That is not science.
> >
> >I'm interested in controlled tests to document and measure the ability
> >of the DDR to influence animal behavior in a kennel or animal housing
> >facility.
> >Charlie
>
>  Charlie,
>
>  Jerry claims that the DDR will help all kinds of animals.
>  Humans are complicated animals, so why not ask Jerry to
>  have the DDR on when he posts to USENET for the month of
>  August?
>
>  We could then quantify the hostility of Jerry's posts
>  before, during, and after August. We might even ask
>  Jerry to reintroduce the DDR in October. This is called
>  an ABAB, single-subject design. See:
>
>  http://www.uwm.edu/~dermer/vita/dermerhoch.pdf
>
>  If the DDR diminishes Jerry's extraordinarily hostile,
>  uncivil, irrational posts then I think it might have
>  great promise with other organisms including dogs.
>
>  Even if Jerry were faking being extraordinarily kind,
>  civil, and rational, for August and October, that would
>  be an improvement.
>
>  --Marshall

Here's professor SCRUFF SHAKE:

From: Marshall Dermer (dermer at alpha1.csd.uwm.edu)
Subject: Re: new puppy bitting/chewing hands
Date: 1999/07/05

In article
<976F54CA8C2C77AB.9DF245927D0DAB8B.90BA464FE454EF7F at lp.airnews.net> Jason
<aslan7 at removethisline.geocities.com> writes:
:
> I would assume that all puppies like to bite and chew
> on just about anything.  How do you train a young
> puppy NOT to chew on hands and feet?  Although
> there is a time and place for saying 'no' and giving
> the dog a scruff shake I do no know if this is appropriate
> at this age.

 At this point, "No" does not have any behavioral
function. But, if you say "No,"pick up the puppy
by its neck and shake it a bit,  and the frequency
of the biting decreases then you will have achieved
 too things.

First, the frequency of unwanted chewing has
decreased; and two, you have established "No"
as a conditioned punisher.

 How much neck pulling and shaking? Just the
minimum necessary to decrease the unwanted biting.

 When our dog was a puppy,  "No" came before
mild forms of punishment (I would hold my dog's
mouth closed for a few seconds.) whereas "Bad
Dog" came  before stronger punishement (the
kind discussed above).

 My dog is about 1.5 years old. "No" is usually
sufficient but sometimes I  use "Bad Dog" to
stop a behavior.

"Bad Dog" ALWAYS works.

 then, of course, quickly say "Good Dog" when
 he is appropriately behaving.

 In providing verbal punishment and reinforcement
as in using nonverbal punishement and reinforcement,
timing is very important.

Use these consquences to control behavior much
 as in the game where a child is told "your getting hot"
or "your getting cold." If the delay between the behavior
 and the consquence is too long then the behavior will
not appropriately change.

 --Marshall