Lax parents blamed for 'attention deficit' behaviour

Matthew Kirkcaldie Matthew.Kirkcaldie at newcastle.edu.au
Tue Jul 29 00:03:52 EST 2003

In article <bfm1b0$ggc$1 at knot.queensu.ca>,
 Emma Chase VanCott <7elc at qlink.queensu.ca> wrote:

> In sci.med Matthew Kirkcaldie <Matthew.Kirkcaldie at newcastle.edu.au> wrote:
> : In article <bfjcdv$o49 at library1.airnews.net>,
> :  "Jeff Utz" <kidsdoc2000 at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> :> Considering that there are definite differences in brains between people
> :> with ADHD and people without it, and other biological differences, like
> :> differences in reactions to drugs, I believe that, without a doubt, ADHD is
> :> real.
>
> : Could you cite the differences, and the papers which document them?  I'm
> : genuinely interested.
>
> Their saccades are different, for starters...

That's not a difference in their brains, and nor is it a biological
difference, which is what the original poster stated.

Saccades are a behaviour - and if you're looking for behavioural
differences you could start with the criteria by which they're adjudged
to have ADHD!  It's hardly surprising that gross behavioural changes are
accomapnied by less noticeable changes such as the saccades you mention
(without attribution, by the way).

         Matthew.