Lax parents blamed for 'attention deficit' behaviour

John H. john at faraway.com
Tue Jul 29 08:00:26 EST 2003

I know of at least 2 undisputable recent trials (metronome training and a
type of video game) which can benefit ADD children. The reason I put the
question to Glen is because there seems to be this assumption kicking around
that if you find an organic difference in brains (and you do in ADHD) then
you need some drug regime to correct the problem. However, one can also find
organic disorders in depression but this can also be treated with behavorial
therapy. A study last year showed that the same changes that occur with
ssri's also occur with cognitive therapy in depressed patients. I am at a
loss to fully understand why behavioural therapy has taken such a backseat,
except to suggest that in science, though to a lesser degree than other
areas of intellectual endeavour, fad and fashion still have considerable
influence. We now see this constant stream of "we have found the gene for
X". Even in identical twins, however, schizophrenia is only 50% concordant.
It is maddening to see people swing from nature to nurture, as if the piggy
in the middle, is not a causative agent on the nature or nurture. No, I'm
not being dualist!

johnYYYcoe at tpg.com.au

remove YYY in reply
news:466b5673.0307282003.c954960 at posting.google.com...