Zwicker effect

TonyJeffs tonyjeffs at
Sun Jun 1 11:27:47 EST 2003

Anyone ever experienced the auditory phenomenon, similar to visual
after image, known as the Zwicker effect? I'd always assumed it was
straightforward to do, but trying it today, zilch. I've never heard of
any first hand experience. Is it real?  Anyone have such a .wav file?

If you listen to a white noise type sound with a cut-off (60dB/Octave)
at some
frequency, like this:

20hz_______________                                 8000hz

and then stop the sound, you will hear a pure tone at just above the
of the cut-off for a short time.

20hz                                                8000hz